Lessons from The Master Gardener

It's been just over six months since I last posted a blog.  I was (maybe still am) in a funk of sorts--spiritual and otherwise.  I didn't feel I had anything to offer and I was struggling to find my "missionary" self.  When Mike and I first talked about moving to Venezuela over two years ago, I thought the transition would be easy.  After all, there was no question in my mind that God was the one leading us.  So there shouldn't be any problems, right?  Not so.

I felt language school would be somewhat of a comfort.  A good place to get my missionary role on.  It was an academic environment and I have always thrived in academic environments (with the exception of one Vectors Calculus class that is).  But, when I got to Costa Rica, I quickly discovered it was nothing like I expected.  For me, I found it to be more of a spiritual boot-camp.  And I felt I was failing miserably.  So I did what I always do when I feel I'm failing--I pull back and stop trying.  That's the perfectionist part of me.  If I can't do "it" right, I just won't do "it".  Whatever "it" is.

For the last three days, I've spent time in the newly planted garden.  I wanted to get out of my funk and determined that, like it or not, I need some alone time with God and the garden was as good a place as any!  Now mind you, in the weeks prior to arriving in Venezuela and our first Sunday here, the spiritual topic of "gardening" came up three times.  First, I gave a short little talk at graduation on Ecclesiastes 11:4.  I finished by asking three questions:  What are the crops of your life?  How are you using the seed?  Are you wrecking the field in your haste to harvest a crop?  Right after I finished, the speaker (missionary Mike Files) talked about the seeds of our lives--how they're all different and unique.  A little over a week later, we're here and what is the sermon topic?  None other than Matthew 13:3-9 and the parable of the sower!  Now I have to admit I can be a little slow at times, but apparently this lesson needed to be "hands on" for me to finally get IT.

Consider your life like a garden.  God is the Master Gardener and He has plotted very specific seed in very specific locations (times) throughout the garden to get the most effective use of soil conditions, sun, shade, water... all the important things plants need to grow healthy.  But the garden is not perfect and it needs constant attention.

There are weeds trying to overtake the plants.  They're stronger and grow faster than the seeds and will eventually choke out the desired plants if you're not careful to remove them.  We think of weeds as bad things.  Technically though a "weed" is anything that isn't the desired plant!  Grass, for instance, is not generally thought of as a "weed".  Unless you live in a very arid climate, you typically want grass.  Big.  Thick.  Green.  (The kind that makes you feel like you're walking on foam carpet is my favorite.)  Sometimes, other seeds find their way to different parts of the garden.  Or, you have old stuff that wants another go 'round.  If it's not beans, it's got to go!  The important thing is to know exactly what the plant looks like!  If you don't, you'll end up pulling out plants before they get a chance to produce fruit.

Many christians busy themselves doing good things.  Singing in the choir.  Teaching Sunday School.  Volunteering at any number of places.  If you're not doing what God has intended for you to do you're cultivating the grass which looks pretty but won't produce fruit.  You will be content with your life, but you'll miss out on the extraordinary.  In order to do what God has intended -- you must know what that is!!

Water is important, not only for nourishment but also for weeding!  If the soil is wet (not flooded) the weeds are easier to pull roots and all.  At times, the root system is united (like in the case of the grass I was pulling).  There are clumps of weeds spread out all over the garden that are intertwined.  IF you can find the main weed, the others will get yanked right along with it.  Also, when the soil is moist, you've got a better shot at saving the plants whose roots are entwined with the weeds.  However, weeding in moist soil is a messy job!  Not to mention back breaking.

Jesus is the living water.  Without Him.  Without submersing yourself in His word (the bible) you'll dry out.  He is also our strength.

Help is necessary at times.  (Especially when the task is particularly big.)  Sometimes just having a companion to talk with is sufficient.  Other times, sharing the work is beneficial.  But this means you have to help them navigate your garden.  You have to show them the weeds and allow them to work.  (It doesn't mean you give them permission to run rampant through your garden willy-nilly).  The help can be more experienced than you to give you pointers or instruction (for instance, if you don't know what beets look like).  Or, they can be less experienced.  In which case, you're the one giving instructions!  Beware though, negativity can come disguised as "help" (usually in the form of advice or opinion)!

We have to be vulnerable enough to recognize when we cannot do things on our own.  We are not alone in our journey and we can benefit from the wisdom of others who have traveled the same (or a similar) path.  We also have something to offer others -- our experiences and companionship along the same path.  However, Satan doesn't want us to even get started!  "Why bother?"  he says.  "There are too many weeds.  You'll never be able to pull them all.  It will take too much time."  Or what about this one, "It doesn't matter because nothing will grow here anyway.  The seed is bad.  The soil isn't good for that particular fruit."  Blah. Blah. Blah.

I want my response to be "yada yadah" -- to know and be known intimately by God and each other and to give praises to our Lord.  
Blessings to all.
Sonja
Check us out on Facebook for more frequent updates.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jehova-jireh: God will Provide

Post-Thanksgiving Activities